Saturday, October 2, 2010

Getting Ready For Winter

I love October--it's like the gateway month into the holiday season, which I am anticipating more than ever this year. On top of that, the temperatures are starting to cool down and the smell of fall is in the air. But it's not too early to get your wardrobe ready for winter. Here are a few must-haves to add to your shopping list--bonus: they're all available in stores now, so by the time the cold weather starts to kick in, they'll be on clearance! Or you can stock up now and store them for later.

With outfits like these, you're sure to stay warm this winter!


SWEATERS: Who doesn't love a great, cozy sweater? They're so versatile and great for layering over just about anything. The only downside is that there are so many different styles this season to choose from! For an unexpected twist, try a short-sleeve sweater (AE Chunky Knit Short Sleeve Sweater, $39.50) over a basic long-sleeved tee (AE Long Sleeve V-Neck T, $19.50) for added warmth. Another option is the classic button-down cardigan (Hollister 1000 Steps Beach, $59.50, Epic only). This one in particular is great for the holidays--the cream version has little red hearts and it looks like the classic Christmas sweater, only cuter. Cardis work best over knit tanks (A&F's Tessa tank, $30--the tiered peplum hem detail makes it even better) and under jackets (try HCo.'s Lake Hodges denim jacket, $89.50, for a cozy look).


JACKETS: Speaking of jackets, you'll probably need one this winter. Where I live (in Colorado), it snows a lot but is still usually sunny, so jackets are still a must in the morning at least. Don't settle for a boring one, though, since you'll be wearing it all winter! I'd suggest buying at least two, if you can afford it, so you can switch it up depending on the outfit or your mood or the weather. For a lightweight jacket perfect for fall days, try a hoodless cotton jacket (like A&F's Gwyneth coat, $59.89). The khaki color on this one looks great over just about anything and it's durable enough to keep the wind out. On colder, snowier days, look for a coat that's a little more heavy-duty (Hollister's Ormond Beach puffer jacket, $79.89). Puffy coats are still stylish and this one comes in a wide array of colors--you may have a hard time choosing!


BOOTS: I really love my Bearpaw boots. I got them last year in chocolate and now I want the same pair in chestnut or gray. I also like some of the boots that American Eagle is offering this year, like the AE Button Warm & Fuzzy Boot ($39.50). They just look so cozy I can't resist. I always wear my boots with tights and a miniskirt, but they also work with skinny jeans. And I still want to get the Bearpaw Loki (a suede and sheepskin mule) in chestnut. I know they're not technically boots, but I still would love to have them.

What are you wanting this winter?



No comments:

Post a Comment