Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Inspired by Nature

When I was little, my family was really big on camping. We always had a pop-up trailer, so not really hard-core or anything, but we still were able to get in touch with nature, and our wilder sides. My parents always dragged my little sister and me on hiking trails and as much as I dreaded it then, I miss it so much now, being stuck in the dorms, 300 miles from my family. Me and my sister always bonded over riding our bikes through the campground, building shelters in the woods, making up little plays at the campground's amphitheatre and even having my dad swing us around on the tire swing at the playground.
I've been missing camping and the outdoors a lot (sure, I walk every day to classes, but it's more suburban) so I decided to do a post about outdoor-inspired fashion.
I love anything plaid, from tops to skirts and even scarves. I also really like the boyfriend style, which is basically anything that's kinda long and loose, like a guy would wear, but much cuter. So I had to include the AE Plaid Western Boyfriend Shirt ($39.50). I love it in pink, and it would look amazing over a pair of long black leggings and tucked into some rugged boots, such as the AE Lace-Up Moto boots.
I'm a sucker for anything destructed, so I love Gilly Hicks's Narrabeen denim shorts ($19.89). The rips, tears and cuffs add to its tough appeal, and would look great with a girly tee, such as Mort Bay ($15.50) in white.
Dresses aren't usually thought of as outdoorsy, but this one definitely is--the Hollister Santa Margarita dress ($39.50) in blue plaid. It has a look that's part lumberjack, part adorable. I would totally pair it with a little denim jacket, such as Lake Hodges ($89.50). The collar and inside are lined with faux sherpa, so it looks authentically-rough.
And of course, no nature-inspired closet can be complete without a puffy vest! They're back and better than ever, especially from Abercrombie & Fitch. Try their Addison vest ($98)--it comes in a variety of bright colors and goes well with a simple striped thermal, such as the Alyssa knit shirt ($34) and a great pair of jeans, like the Emma boot ($53.70) in destroyed dark wash.
How do you mix style with the great outdoors? (P.S. The pictures above are some camping memories I have--one is as a baby and the other is when I was probably 10 or 11 with my little sister!)

2 comments:

  1. living in a small town in w isconsin this summer, I really found a lot of inspiration in nature too. I hope dorm life is treating you okay-- blogging is a nice escape!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature is such an inspiration for everything! And yes, blogging is a great way to stay in touch with my non-college life--but the dorms are great. Of course, I'd rather live in an apartment, but that's life :)

    ReplyDelete