Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mission Impossible: Jean Shopping!

Every girl needs jeans, right? Even though I wish I lived in a place where jeans aren't a necessity, I don't and I will definitely be needing some come October and November. A week ago, I only had two pairs left over from the winter (the rest went mysteriously AWOL) and I was dreading the jeans shopping. Why? Because, I realized as I was in the middle of the process, that the jeans this fall aren't the same or even similar to the ones this past winter!
I started out at American Eagle last Friday evening. I first fell in love with their jeans at the end of last year, when I got my first pairs from there. So I assumed it was a safe bet, and tried on a pair of dark-wash Artists and Boyfriend Fits. Boy, was I wrong! Now all of a sudden, AE's short inseam fits more like a regular (aka too long for my 5'1 frame) and every style, not just the skinnier ones, fit like jeggings, with a super-low rise and too much spandex. Yuck!
So I checked out Hollister next. It's probably my favorite store, but I had never bought or tried on jeans from there. My younger sister has a pair, and she loves them, so I thought I'd take a chance on them, too. Also another disappointment. I sized up to a size 1 short (I normally wear a size 0, sometimes even a 00 at AE, where they tend to run big), and they were even longer than the AE jeans and super-tight in the thighs. And these were supposed to be flares!
On Sunday, I was back at home and I went to the mall with my sister and mom. I was still in the hunt for great jeans, but was also looking to buy tops and such from Hollister. Surprisingly, my mom took me to the Dillard's juniors department and we actually looked at the Levi's jeans, which I had never considered. I also wanted to steer clear of skinny jeans, but I ended up bringing a pair into the dressing room, loving them more than the flare style and...ended up buying them! I got them in a 1 short, since Levi's juniors sizes run small. If you plan on buying any check out their size chart online--my normal size (a 0) is only for a 22-23 inch waist while the 1s are for a 23-24 inch waist--so you may have to size up one or two sizes to get the right waist fit. Otherwise, they're great and now I'm looking for the perfect shoes to pair with them.
Also, I got a pair of dark-wash Boy Fit crops from AE. I already had the destroyed light wash in a size 0 and my mom thought they were too big, so I got the dark-wash ones in a size 00 and they fit loose without being overly baggy. So I'd suggest going down a size, unless you really like the boy fit look. And they're only $19.95 now, so they're a great deal and go with anything!
I'm still on the lookout for great denim, so next time I might head back to AE for their skinnies, or maybe even Abercrombie Kids for a slightly looser flare style (and the shorter inseam will be great, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment