Saturday, February 26, 2011

Surplus Savvy

On my drive back home from school yesterday, my mom and I stopped at our favorite mall. She had a 30% off coupon for Eddie Bauer, but of course, I was just interested in hitting up my favorite stores!
What really caught my eye were the new styles at American Eagle. For spring 2011, their theme is nautical and surplus, which are both big trends this season. Normally, I would just pass by these things without taking a second look since they're not really my style, but I actually have fallen in love with surplus!

Surplus on the runway

The muted shades of grey, olive, khaki and white are the perfect backdrop for brighter colors. Their tough-girl appeal makes them great for 'sweetening up" with floral prints and girly silhouettes.
Try a pair of frayed utility shorts (AE Utility Midi Shorts, $34.95) with a pretty tunic top (AE Floral Tunic, $39.50).
For a classic pin-up beach look, try the AE Striped String Halter Bikini Top ($24.50) and its matching bottoms ($24.50).
Want a more unexpected take on the nautical/surplus trend? Try a military-style jacket (Hollister's Monarch Beach, navy, $79.50) over a sweet polka-dotted dress (Moor Park, cream, $49.50).


Surplus Savvy
Do you like the surplus trend? How do you like to wear nautical pieces?



No comments:

Post a Comment